Communication

Communication

Thursday, November 17, 2011

How things have changed?


If I sit back for a moment and think how Assistive Technology has changed I wouldn't know where to start. There are some items that really haven't changed much and other forms of communication that have taken on a very high tech approach.

My initial experience with augmentative communication really did not allow for conversations that allowed turn taking but was a way for the child to communicate his/her wants and needs. For example they would push a switch and a pre-recorded voice would say "I need to go to the bathroom" or "can I have a drink please". The child may have a 3 switch apparatus where there may be a greeting and response but there would be no way to continue the conversation. For this project I am going to look at how far communication has come and ways to help students be able to commnicate more freely with thier peers independently. I plan to also look at the social aspect for students who are non verbal and rely on augmentative communication for their voice. Are they socially accepted by thier typically developing peers? I hope to discuss some of the newer technology that is out available and any controversies that may exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment